Property & Finance Attorney under Lasting Power of Attorney

March 25th, 2020

How do I act for a relative who is self-isolating?

Following the recent outbreak of COVID-19, the government has advised that anyone with symptoms of the virus should self-isolate for 7 days (16th March 2020). More information about the symptoms and what to do can be found on the government website.

If you are a Property & Finance attorney under a Lasting Power of Attorney for a friend or relative, you can act on their behalf and ensure they stay on top of their finances and bills, should they need to self-isolate. Giving them peace of mind and avoiding any unnecessary health risks.

To act as an attorney, your friend or relative will need to have made and registered a Property & Finance Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). Being an attorney will enable you to access their bank and utility accounts as if they were your own, and you will be able to make payments and transfer money, as and when it is needed.

How do I act as an attorney?

Firstly, you will need to collect the original LPA document or a certified copy; this could be stored by the solicitor who completed it, or at home with the donor (the person who has taken out the LPA). We suggest you obtain a certified copy because if the original is misplaced – the document is no longer valid. You will need to provide the original or certified copy LPA the banks and other institutions to prove that you have authority to act.

You will need to contact the donor’s bank/utility provider to see what proof of identification they require from you – the attorney. Once all documentation has been provided you will have full access to the donor’s accounts for their benefit, as if they were your own.

If you have any questions regarding your Property & Finance LPA, or would like to set one up for a loved one, then please contact us on 02392 98 1000 or email