Corporate and commercial
Our commercial and corporate law service is designed to address the many legal issues that arise in starting and growing a company, doing business with others, and listing or selling it.
Many small to medium-sized businesses use us as their ‘in-house’ legal team and we work for larger corporations, as well as other professional firms, especially in niche fields such as IP and Football & Sports.
We pride ourselves on straightforward, cost effective advice, based on good business sense, a deep understanding of our clients and a knowledge of what works. This includes helping you seize opportunities, avoid pitfalls and grow your business to its full potential, maybe so that you can sell it and retire.
Please call us anytime you need advice or if you would like to hear more about our services.
- Sale and purchase of business, asset and shares
- Business start-ups and SME’s
- Management Buy-Outs (MBO’s) and Buy-Ins (MBI)
- Share buy backs
- Due diligence
- Company re-organisation and re-structuring advice
- Shareholders’ and partnership agreements
- LLP and Partnership advice
- Shareholder disputes
- Drafting inter-creditor, facility, guarantee and other security agreements
- Subordination and priority arrangements
- Advice on personal and corporate guarantees
- Joint ventures and collaboration agreements
- Terms and conditions of sale or purchase for goods/services
- Agency and distribution agreements
- Non-disclosure agreements (NDA)
- Bespoke trading agreements
- Intellectual property protection
- Incorporation of limited liability partnerships and companies
- Creating and/or maintaining statutory registers, minute books and share certificates
- Preparing board minutes, resolutions and notices
- Assisting with your annual return
- Drafting or amending Articles of Association
- Dissolving or striking companies off the register
- Implementing changes to your share capital
- Drafting and filing of Companies House forms.
Dealing with creditors’ demands for personal guarantee payments
The company had substantial liabilities to the bank and its landlord. These liabilities were personally guaranteed, jointly and severally, by both directors.
The bank and landlord both called in the personal guarantees by pursuing our client, rather than the co-director who had little cash or assets.
As a result our client was required to pay the guarantees totalling tens of thousands of pounds.
Claiming a share of the guarantee payments from the co-director
We were instructed to pursue a claim against the co-director for a contribution of half the amount our client had paid.
The co-director instructed solicitors to resist the claim, alleging they had little or no involvement or control in the business and so should not have to contribute.
We built a case based on the detailed consideration of historic company records which demonstrated the extent of each directors’ involvement in the company. We supplied extensive witness statements and secured the disclosure of financial and other company records relevant to the case.
A number of witnesses also gave evidence at trial.
Winning and enforcing the claim
We secured a judgment at trial against their former co-director for half of the sum our client paid under the personal guarantees, together with interest and their legal costs.
Subsequently we took enforcement action to recover payment and, despite the co-director’s limited means, successfully recovered the full sum for our client.
Former Director and Shareholder of Limited Company
The background to the situation was complicated, yet Verisona Law quickly grasped the essentials and prepared clear arguments with a minimum of wasted time and cost.
Throughout a worrying period, their calm approach allowed me to fulfil my group function with a restored confidence, having been distracted prior to Verisona Law’s appointment by the aggressive and unjustified stance of the Secretary of State.
I have no hesitation in recommending Verisona Law to anyone in a similar position.
Individual - Chairman of a group of companies in the construction industry