Making a Will

Making a Will

When you die your property and affairs must be dealt with. Making a Will ensures that any specific intentions you have for the division or disposal of your property, money and possessions after your death can be efficiently carried out.

Our solicitors in Portsmouth and Waterlooville can guide you through the process of making a will, putting your mind at ease. We can assist with:

  • Creating new wills or updating existing wills
  • Giving to charity in a will
  • Tax planning
  • Wills and inheritance disputes

What happens if I die without making a will?

If you die without making a valid Will you are deemed to have died ‘intestate’. Should this occur then the general laws of intestacy will apply to your estate and this could result in your affairs not being handled in the way you would have wishes. This could lead to, for example:

  • Your spouse / civil partner receiving only a fraction of your assets
  • Only blood relations benefiting – to the exclusion of friends and in-laws
  • Co-habitees being excluded from a distribution of the estate
  • Statutory trusts being set up for children and grandchildren on terms you might not like
  • Increased tax liabilities
  • Increased costs of administering your estate.

To download our brochure about making a will, please click here.

If you would like to find out more about making a will or updating an existing will, please contact our specialist team on 023 9298 1000 or contact us here.

  • Hayley Beeching

    Hayley Beeching

    Associate Director - Head of Wills, Probate & Trusts

    T: 023 9244 6912

  • Andrea Cox

    Andrea Cox

    Director - Head of Private Client

    T: 023 9224 6719

    M: 07799 652 612

  • Iain Belcher

    Iain Belcher

    Consultant - Wills, Probate & Trusts

    T: 023 9244 6911


  • Will drafting
  • Review of existing Wills
  • Advice re provision for children, second families, spouses and civil partners, unmarried partners and other family members
  • Advice re charitable gifts
  • Advice re foreign and business assets
  • Advice re Will trusts
  • Codicils
  • Inheritance Tax advice

Make an