Bankruptcy and personal insolvency
Bankruptcy and personal insolvency issues (including Individual Voluntary Arrangements) are a significant part of the work of the firm’s award winning Insolvency & Business Turnaround team. The team assists clients across the country in dealing with all aspects of bankruptcy and personal insolvency situations. Team members have a wealth of experience in assisting individuals and businesses in financial difficulty, creditors and insolvency practitioners. Led by Nick Oliver, who practiced in London for 20 years before joining Verisona Law, the team is made up of true specialists with many years of experience and include an arbitrator, a former Deputy District Judge, a higher rights advocate and a qualified mediator.
The team at Verisona Law has become best known for its expertise in dealing with insolvency disputes and litigation. In relation to bankruptcy and personal insolvency matters, this has included property disputes (including matrimonial home issues), annulments, personal guarantees, statutory demands and fraud issues. It has a national reputation for undertaking this work, and is recognised for it in both of the leading guides to the legal profession – the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners. A full list of the team’s services, together with case studies and testimonials from clients, are available below.
Team members understand the urgency that is often a feature of insolvency and turnaround work and are used to working out of hours and to urgent deadlines. Mobile numbers for out of hours contact for senior team members are provided.
Individuals in financial difficulty
- Assistance with financial difficulties, personal guarantees, statutory demands, bankruptcy issues and individual voluntary arrangements
- Dealings with the Official Receiver, The Insolvency Service and trustees in bankruptcy (including possession actions in relation to residential property)
- Insolvency-related disputes and litigation.
Businesses in financial difficulty
- Advice on business refinancing and restructuring
- Advice on and management of insolvency procedures
- Negotiations with trade creditors, HMRC (including ‘time to pay’ agreements), landlords, banks, factoring companies, financiers and insolvency practitioners
- Business sales.
- Technical advice, transactional support and litigation services locally and nationally
- Assistance with investigations
- Insolvency-related disputes and litigation (including construction disputes)
- Personal insolvency issues
- Asset and debt recovery
- Asset and business sales
- Property issues
- Employment issues
- Cross-border assistance.
- Advice on issuing statutory demands and bankruptcy petitions
- Maximising recoveries
- Retention of title issues
- Enforcement of personal guarantees
- Representation at creditor meetings.
Buyers of distressed or insolvent businesses
- Advice on purchasing distressed or insolvent businesses
- Risk assessment and due diligence
- Support for valuation and price negotiation
- Related property, leasehold and employment issues.