A group of 21 people instructed us to bring compensation claims for alleged abuse when they were residents at St Georges School during the late 1970’s and early 1980’s.
Derek Slade, the Headmaster and chief perpetrator, had already been convicted of abuse at his criminal trial and had been jailed for 21 years.
The claims were brought in respect of vicarious liability and negligence, even though all were, on the face of it; beyond the statutory time limit (statute barred).
We pursued claims against the School’s holding company, Anglemoss Limited, which was set up and run by Slade and four other Directors.
The claims included damages for the actual sexual assault (of which Slade kept comprehensive notes) and for psychiatric injuries, many of which became apparent later in the pupils’ lives.
We identified an insurer that had covered the School’s liability for part of the relevant period and were able to claim from it. For those claims falling outside the insured period we applied for an enforcement issue which led to the company being ‘wound up’.
Our clients received damages totalling over £400,000.00.
If you, or a loved one, has been affected by abuse while at school then please contact out Child Abuse in Schools team in strict confidence to see how we can help you move towards a positive resolution.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers