We acted for ten people who instructed us to bring compensation claims in respect of assaults carried out by a deceased art teacher and abuser, David Leighton Davies, who was employed by Cardiff Council.
Davies sexually assaulted boys in the classroom and on excursions. He was found guilty of offences against children in relation to a youth club in 1977 and died in 1980
We brought the claims in respect of vicarious liability and negligence. The prejudice on the Defendant heightened with the death of Davies, but his conviction and the number of independent witnesses only went to assist the Claimants.
The claims brought were defended by the Council as they were statue barred. The prejudice on the Defendant was heightened as the perpetrator was dead and could not provide witness evidence. The saving grace was a number of individuals came forward all making the same allegations.
The BBC and ITV contacted us during the case and featured it during the evening news. As a result a further thirteen people instructed us to begin a second tranche of litigation. These claims are currently going through a settlement process.
Once these cases are settled our Child Abuse in Schools team expect to have obtained over £750,000.00 for those who brought claims against Cardiff Council.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers