A former children’s home worker from Cowling has been jailed for 19 years with an additional three years to be served on licence for non-recent child sexual abuse at a children’s home in Skipton.
Stuart Thornton, 65, was sentenced at Bradford Crown Court on 7 July 2017 after being found guilty of offences against three boys and one girl at the former home on Carleton Road, which has since closed.
Mr Thornton worked at the home as a volunteer, then as an employed carer between 1971 and 1976 when the offences happened.
He stood trial in May 2017 and was found guilty by jury of six offences of indecent assault on a boy under 14, two offences of gross indecency with a child, two offences of indecent assault and one offence of buggery. The victims were aged between five and 13 at the time of the abuse.
He was also placed on the sex offenders register for life, barred from working with children, and issued with an interim Sexual Harm Prevention Order.
Verisona Law have specific expertise in dealing with claims in respect of child abuse. If you were subject to child abuse please do not hesitate to contact Charles Derham our specialist child abuse solicitor. We will treat any communications with the strictest of confidence.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers