A teacher and football coach has been jailed for 16 years after being convicted of sexual assault offences against a child.
Micheal Smee was found guilty of raping a child aged under 13 years old, following a trial at Cambridge Crown Court. He pleaded guilty to five further counts of sexual activity with a child, with the offences occurring between January 2013 and April last year.
On top of the jail term, Smee will spend a further eight years on extended licence.
The 39-year-old former PE teacher and football coach from Stevenage must serve at least 10 years behind bars before being considered for parole.
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by child abuse, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced child abuse claim lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible to bring a claim.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."