87 year old former Jackanory presenter John Earle was sentenced to 4 years imprisonment at Exeter Crown Court on Friday 28th April for historic sexual assault offence.
John Earle, then a teacher, subjected his victim to abuse between 1957 and 1961 at Upcott House Preparatory School.
Sentencing him, Judge Erik Salomonsen said: "This was a gross breach of trust. You used a young child to satisfy your sexual needs on many occasions. It was your responsibility to educate and protect him."
John Earle was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by child abuse, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible to bring a claim.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."