The Scheme was released in July 2019
About the Scheme
A redress scheme for people who, as children, were abused or suffered harm between 9 May 1945 and 31 December 2005;
- while a resident in a Government of Jersey children's home
- while in a Government of Jersey foster care placement
- while accommodated at Les Chênes secure residential unit.
The Government of Jersey is also known as the States of Jersey.
The Scheme is managed by a dedicated team of people known as the Redress Team.
The Scheme has two parts:
Part 1: Les Chênes
Redress for people who, while accommodated at Les Chênes secure residential unit, suffered due to the harsh regime and whose experiences at Les Chênes had a negative impact on their childhood. From 2003 Les Chênes secure residential unit was also known as Greenfields.
The harsh regime at Les Chênes included children being placed in isolation and being required to sleep or spend time in a ‘secure unit’.
Part 2: Children's homes and foster care
Redress for people who were sexually and/or physically abused while a full-time resident in a Government of Jersey children's home or while in a Government of Jersey foster care placement. Or, redress for people who, while accommodated at Les Chênes secure residential unit, were sexually abused and/or physically abused resulting in significant injury or long term harm.
If you or loved one have suffered abused while under the care or supervision of the Jersey care system, please contact our experienced team of specialist lawyers.
Verisona Law has an award-winning abuse team that specialises in helping victims of historic abuse as well as extensive experience of representing claimants under the previous 2012 Redress Scheme (Haut De La Garenne)
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."