A 71-year-old former teacher who sexually abused boys has died in prison.
Retired Leicestershire teacher Graham Butterworth, 71, died in HMP Lincoln earlier this month.
His death is being investigated as a potential case of Legionnaires’ disease, officials have confirmed.
The Ministry of Justice said the prison was working with Public Health England and other health agencies to establish the cause of death, including the possibility that Butterworth had contracted Legionnaires’ disease.
Butterworth was jailed for 11 years in September last year after he was convicted at Leicester Crown Court last year of nine counts of indecently assaulting one boy, aged between 12 and 15, and one count of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old, between 1977 and 1983.
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by sexual abuse, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible to bring an abuse claim
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers