Two men are due to appear in court to answer a total of 26 charges of multiple historic sexual abuse of young boys at a former childrens’ home in Singleton, according to police.
John Michael Webber, 77, of Clifton Hill, Brighton, and Don Grasty, 94, of Beach Road, Selsey, have been summoned to appear at Worthing Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, February 6, police said.
The prosecution follows an investigation by the Sussex Police Complex Abuse Unit.
The charges allege that the pair committed the offences against eight boys at the long since closed, privately-run Old Rectory Childrens’ Home in Church Road, Singleton.
Webber faces 12 charges – including indecent assault and gross indecency – almost all involving multiple incidents – allegedly committed against five boys.
Grasty faces 14 charges – including indecent assault and gross indecency – almost all involving multiple incidents, allegedly committed against five boys
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by sexual abuse, please do not hesitate to contact our team of specialist child abuse lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible to bring an abuse claim.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."