Former primary school teacher who abused his position “in the most appalling way” by sexually abusing two young girls has been sentenced to 14 years in prison of which he must serve half and sign the sex offenders' register for life
Stephen Higgitt, 60, was convicted at Truro Crown Court last month of six charges, two counts of assault on a child under 13 by penetration relating to the younger victim, three assaults by penetration and one charge of sexual assault.
Higgitt arrived at the court to be sentenced today carrying with him several large bags and a guitar.
Prosecutor Heather Hope previously told the court that the instances involved Higgitt touching the victims’ private parts and breasts.
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by sexual abuse at the hands of Stephen Higgitt, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible to bring an abuse claim.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers