Bournemouth Scout support member Paul John Cherrett, 62, was jailed for nine years at Bournemouth Crown Court on Tuesday 11 April for sexually abusing boys over the last 41 years.
The 62-year-old admitted 10 counts of indecent assault against boys aged under 16, three counts of inciting a child to commit an act of gross indecency and four charges of possession of indecent images of children.He had also pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity with a child.
Cherrett was told he would be on the Sex Offenders Register for life and would be made the subject of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order.
Cherrett joined the Scouting movement in 1972 when he became an Assistant Cub Scout Leader for the 21st Bournemouth Scout Group until 1977. He then moved into the Assistant District Commissioner role for the Bournemouth West District until 1988. He returned in the role of District Scout Active Support Member at Butchers Coppice Camp site in 2010.
Verisona Law have significant expertise in pursuing claims against the Scouts Association. We have an ongoing claim in respect of alleged sexual abuse at the hands of a former Scoutmaster at Butchers Coppice Scout Camp.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."