The government’s victim compensation agency has issued a “heartfelt” apology to a man who was groomed online and sexually abused by a string of older men from the age of 13, after refusing him compensation on the grounds he “consented” to the assaults.
The apology by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) came just weeks before the man was due to face the ordeal of giving evidence at a hearing appealing against the body’s initial decision.
In a letter to the man, known as HND who is now aged 20, CICA’s chief executive, Carole Oatway, apologised for the way his case was handled, saying: “I am firmly of the view that you are eligible for compensation. It is clear that advantage was taken of your age and vulnerability for the purpose of sexual abuse.”
Charles Derham head of the abuse team at Verisona Law comments "this may open the floodgates for those who have previously been refused a payout by the CICA on the grounds of 'consent'". He further adds "if you feel that there was a wrong decision made and your application was refused you should seek immediate specialist legal advice".
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by sexual abuse and wish to pursue or review a CICA claim, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."