Former West Sussex choirmaster charged with over 50 sex offences against children.
Mark Burgess, 66 from Hilsea, Portsmouth was charged on 3rd February with 58 counts of offences that included buggery, indecent assault, gross indecency with a child and inciting sexual activity with a child. we understand the charges follow the police investigation named Operation Marmion.
The offenses took place when Burgess was working as a choirmaster for Westbourne Choir in Chichester and All Saints Choir in Portsmouth between 1976 and 2009.
Legal advice for abuse survivors
Verisona Law can advise abuse survivors within a number of different settings, including abuse occurring in local choirs.
If you, or a loved one, have been affected by physical, psychological or emotional abuse, please do not hesitate to contact our team of experienced historic abuse lawyers who will be happy to speak to you about whether it may be possible to pursue a claim.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."