Category: Child Abuse & Sexual Abuse Claims

 

Scouting for offenders

According to a recent report from the BBC, the Scout Association has paid out nearly £1 million in compensation claims, to victims reporting sexual abuse. Since October 2012, 56 people have successfully sued the Scouts Association over historical sexual abuse claims, amounting to a total sum of £897,000. The Association’s defence claimed that the figures are disputed – in fact it was just 36 claims since October 2012 and in its 100-year history, compares to 12 claims since its foundation. Sadly, either of the figures could just be the beginning and the reality may well be that the more the media exposes these cases, the more cases come forward. One such case came about recently in hester, where former scout master, Martyn Lewis ucker, pleaded guilty to 28 charges of sexually abusing eight boys over a period of 18 years during the 1970s and 80s. Following a burst of publicity around ucker’s crimes, when he was jailed for 12 years in May 2014 for sexually abusing five boys over a decade in the 60s and 70s, victims began to come forward and give statements to testify against him for further crimes he’d committed. he press at the time quoted from the trial, as the court heard how ucker “knew his day of judgement would come.” He is currently serving his sentence at Rye Hill prison in Warwickshire, awaiting sentencing during a trial later this year for his further crimes. Even if crimes are historical, such as in the case of ucker and Savile, it is still possible to bring a case against somebody – and here at Verisona Law, we have a dedicated team of experts that can help. In fact, we have successfully helped pursue claims against the Scouts Association and have plenty of experience in dealing with claims of that nature. If you know anybody who may have been affected by crimes in relation to the Scout Association, or otherwise, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today.

Read More

Tony Blackburn: Breaking radio silence over abuse claims

For anyone listening to the radio or opening a newspaper today, you will have come across the story relating to Radio DJ Tony Blackburn, who has brought claims against the BBC that he was sacked unfairly following evidence he gave to help the inquiry into Jimmy Savile’s historic sex abuse crimes. Blackburn, who was reportedly sacked days before the publication of a major report in to sexual abuse at the BBC, is said to be planning to sue the corporation.

Read More

Martyn Tucker former Scoutmaster - Abuse update

Martyn Tucker, formerly of Chester, admitted 28 further offences of indecent assault or gross indecency between 1967 and 1985. On Tuesday, Caernarfon Crown Court heard that one of the victims was just 12 at the time. Tucker is due be sentenced in August or September. he court was told "statements of complaint" from new victims had been generated as a result of the publicity of the previous case in May 2014 when Tucker was jailed for 12 years. That case involved five boys in abuse dating back 46 years, with some offences occurring in Flintshire while he was a scoutmaster in the area. Myles Wilson, prosecuting, asked for two further cases alleging sexual activity with a child of 13 in 2008 - to which Tucker pleaded not guilty - to lie on file. Judge Niclas Parry agreed.

Read More

Operation Marmion leads to arrest of Hampshire man after historical Child Sexual Exploitation investigations undertaken

For those living on the South coast, you may have come across the recent coverage of “Operation Marmion”, a process launched at the request of crime commissioner, Simon Hayes, alongside Hampshire Police. series of investigations have been conducted over several months as part of Hampshire Constabulary’s ongoing review of non-recent Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) cases. There is currently a national police action plan on CSE, but Simon Hayes requested to review cases locally between 1997 and 2013. This review was named Operation Marmion. Marmion re-examined evidence from various child protection specialists from four councils in the force area, including Hampshire, Southampton, Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight. So far the investigation has led to a series of arrests, including the latest case of a 74-year-old man who was charged on 5th December with historical sex crimes against nine boys at the Salerno Children’s Home in Southampton during the 1970s and 1980s. Operation Marmion has led officers to work on thirty nine cases of child exploitation and thirteen outstanding missing persons cases. Twenty four are ongoing cases which have resulted in at least twenty suspects that have been identified. If you or a loved one may be affected by any of the Marmion enquiries, or specifically by the Salerno Children’s Home case, Verisona Law is well-equipped with knowledgeable experts who can handle all cases sensitively and confidentially. Charles Derham is Head of the buse team at Verisona Law and you can contact him directly with any enquiries.

Read More

Legal precedent set in relation to damages for 'sexting' – a new era of abuse compensation claims?

The legal precedent was set in a case where a girl was encouraged to text sexually-explicit photographs of herself to a teacher . She was awarded £25,000 in compensation. It means anyone manipulated into sending or receiving a sexually-explicit message or image, and who suffers psychological harm as a result, can now bring a claim for compensation. This case involved a pupil who when she was a teenager developed a friendship with a teacher. The victim's civil action for damages was based on a claim that the encouragement by the teacher of the exchange of text messages and images would inevitably cause her psychological harm. lthough the texts and images themselves were not directly intended to cause her harm, the court found there are some consequences of conduct that are so obvious "the perpetrator cannot realistically say that the consequences were unintended". And it was obvious in this case that the illicit relationship would eventually cause nothing but harm to a vulnerable young woman coerced into sending the pictures by an individual in a position of trust. This means that anyone involved in sexting another person needs to be sure that person is psychologically robust, is not vulnerable and is consenting to the exchange of messages and images. Such ground-breaking precedent means that anybody who is manipulated or forced in to sending or receiving sexually explicit images or messages who subsequently suffers harm could bring a claim for compensation.

Read More

NEW INSTRUCTION - Aldro School, Godalming - John Clark

Verisona Law's Abuse team are instructed by former pupil of the Aldro School, Godalming in respect of sexual offences suffered at the hands of former music teacher, John Clark. At Clark’s trial an unanimous guilty verdict was returned on 25 counts of sexual offences carried out on four former pupils committed between 1975 and 1981. He was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment. he charges relate to the sexual offences carried out from 1975 – 1981. We are seeking for witnesses to come forward and provide any information they feel relevant to assist the claims that are bought. Any information and discussions will of course be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Read More

Newport headteacher Jon Styler abuse allegations - how many more suffered?

New claims surrounding a former headteacher of hurch in Wales primary school at Malpas near Newport who killed himself when he was confronted with an allegation of child abuse suggest he was one of the most prolific paedophiles in recent Welsh history. BBC One Wales programme Week In Week Out has been told by solicitors representing several of his alleged victims that Jon Styler is now thought to have targeted around 100 boys. It seems that only the minority have come forward and are being represented. I have been heavily involved in extensive litigation in Cardiff, Wales and have successfully obtained damages for nearly 30 individuals whom made allegations against a dead perpetrator. The focus needs to be on who was running the school and who employed Styler? The School is a voluntary controlled school and although it is likely the buildings and land are owned by the Diocese, I anticipate that Newport City Council employed Styler thus potentially making themselves automatically liable for the abuse. These cases are complex, not least so when there is a dead perpetrator and no conviction. Those wishing to bring a claim for compensation need to ensure that they instruct specialist and experienced lawyers to investigate on their behalf.

Read More

Make an
enquiry