The abuse in football has been a hot topic for some time now since the bravery of former footballers who disclosed their abuse led to an FA enquiry into the safegaurding of children in football and review into alleged perpetators and missed chances.
However, the British Canoeing and UK Sport has confirmed it will hold a second investigation after new abuse claims against a coach. The coach has been suspended since December and an initial investigation has now been concluded.
But when new and separate claims of a historical nature emerged in April, British Canoeing approached UK Sport to help commission a second investigation.
British Canoeing said: "We take these matters extremely seriously and will ensure that they are fully dealt with."
We have successully pursued claims against other sporting acitivities including gymnastics and judo and are aware of many other sporting organisations that have faced civil claims as a result of abuse by coaches or staff.
It is evident that there are individuals who put themselves into a position of power and trust who go on to abuse. Sadly, the sporting environment provides potential abusers with oppurtunities to abuse and this needs to stop.
Verisona Law have specific expertise in dealing with claims in respect of child abuse. If you were subject to child abuse please do not hesitate to contact Charles Derham our specialist child abuse solicitor. We will treat any communications with the strictest of confidence.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."