A vicar has resigned after an investigation found he engaged in sexual acts with a schoolgirl.
Simon Sayers, of the Warblington with Emsworth parish, Hampshire, was arrested over an allegation of indecent assault, in London in the 1990s.
Police did not charge him, but an internal church investigation found his behaviour with the 16-year-old abused his position of trust.
He has been banned from ministry for five years by the Church of England.
The Metropolitan Police arrested the vicar in January 2015 after it was informed of alleged offences that took place in the Islington area when he was in parish ministry there in 1995.
Because of the 2015 police investigation he was suspended from the Church of England, but in April 2015 he was told by police he would face no further action.
However, a complaint was made to the Church that same month, prompting it to carry out its own investigation.
At its conclusion, the Bishop of London, the Right Reverend Richard Chartres, found the vicar "engaged in conduct unbecoming a clergy person and inappropriate for a married man" and prohibited him from ministry for five years.
Verisona Law have specific expertise in dealing with child abuse claims.
If you were subject to alleged abuse please do not hesitate to contact Charles Derham our specialist child abuse solicitor and head of abuse team.. We will treat any communications with the strictest of confidence.
Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.
Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.
The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.
- Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.
Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence
- County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).
National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs
- Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.
- Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.
- Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.
- Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.
- Permanent carers, temporary carers
"Thank you for all your much appreciated hard work. I will truly never forget your kindness towards me. Your patience, respect and understanding at all times was beyond words. The sincere compassion shown meant more to me than words could ever express. This firm will forever hold a special place in my heart."