You want to make a personal injury claim but the other party has disappeared

If the company you want to sue for personal injury has gone out of business or is bankrupt, there are other routes to compensation.

Companies that have been liquidated may have been removed from the Companies Register altogether, but you can apply to have them reinstated if they were insured. You can then sue the company.

You may also be able to sue the estate of a company proprietor who has died and sometimes you can sue directors personally if you can prove they were the ones directly responsible for what happened.

Some companies will go as far as transferring their assets and going bankrupt to avoid liabilities such as compensation awards. It may be possible to have the transfer reversed and the assets recovered.

If a defective product caused your injuries you could also look for other organisations such as a distributor or credit provider that were involved in supplying you.

All of these situations are complicated, involving detailed investigations and complex legal arguments. It is certainly best to use a Solicitor.

Compensation Boards

There are Government or industry-backed compensation boards in some fields especially for people unable to obtain compensation elsewhere.

These include the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) for blameless victims of unknown criminals or people who have no assets. This will pay out for physical or mental injuries only.

The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme is a new scheme funded by insurers for asbestos victims and dependants unable to claim from other parties and who are not eligible for other schemes.

Road Traffic accidents

  • Simple Whiplash rear end shunt claims to complex claims involving paraplegia.
  • Fatal accident claims.

Accidents At Work

  • Personal injuries suffered during the course of employment
  • Manual handling operations injuries
  • Slips and trips
  • Work related upper limb disorders
  • Mesothelioma & asbestosis claims.

Public Liability & Occupier’s Liability

  • Claims against councils and others where injuries have been sustained i.e. slips and trips
  • Injuries sustained in public places i.e. children’s parks/playgrounds and shops
  • Sporting injuries sustained in public or private grounds
  • Dog bite & dangerous horse injuries
  • Injuries on club premises
  • Injuries caused by independent contractors
  • Injuries in schools, injuries in swimming pools
  • Injuries in prisons
  • Claims against neighbours regarding defective premises causing injury
  • Public utilities liability.

Landlord & tenant, private/local authority

  • Housing disrepair claims

Product Liability

  • Defective electrical equipment, defective vehicle, defective drug/medication, defective chemical products, food poisoning due to defective packaging are examples.

Make an