Who should pay for the abuse you suffered?

If you have suffered abuse the answer may seem straightforward, but it is well worth taking some time, with your Solicitor, to decide the best way forward.

Here are a few issues we look at with our clients:

Pursuing the individual

Going after the perpetrator may feel like the purest form of justice and there are options available to do exactly that.

We might recommend bringing a case against other defendants as well, such as the individual’s employer or insurer at the time, as they may be better placed to pay you compensation.

Claiming from Local Authorities

If you were abused in a Local Authority establishment such as a school or care home, or by an employee at the time, you can sue the authority.

Claiming from Private companies

The same applies for private companies if they failed in their duty of care to you or if one of their employees abused you.

If the abuse was a long time ago, the company may have been dissolved or be trading under a different name. If it is traceable we have the option to pursue or reinstate the company.

Was the organisation insured?

Even if an organisation has disappeared, it may have had liability insurance when the abuse took place. We can search for these details and pursue the insurer concerned for compensation.

Claiming for abuse is a big step. We offer a free, confidential consultation, during which we will assess your case and advise you on your options.

Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.


  • Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.


  • The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.

Private companies

  • Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.

Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence

  • County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).

National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs

  • Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.


  • Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.

Children’s Homes

  • Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.

Religious Institutions

  • Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.

Foster Carers

  • Permanent carers, temporary carers

Make an