Liverpool and Uruguay footballing ‘genius’ Luis Suarez has once again been courting controversy, this time by biting Italian national player Giorgio Chiellini during a World Cup match.
After several days of denial the player has admitted the offence and apologised to Giorgio Chiellini, who has graciously accepted and suggested we all move on.
But what if???
According to NHS Choices, bites can on rare occasions lead to secondary complications such as blood poisoning, tetanus, meningitis, endocarditis and post traumatic stress disorder.
Such conditions would certainly prevent an athlete from competing and could well prove career-ending, leading to a loss of earnings and life opportunities.
The sports field offers no immunity from criminal prosecution, nor from a civil claim for personal injury. Factoring in loss of earnings, Mr Suarez and his insurers could have been facing a large bill.
Of course international legal jurisdictions may have complicated matters in this case, but if you are playing in the UK, as a professional or amateur, you could certainly make a claim.
At Verisona Law we have a specialist team that handles personal injury work. If you have been seriously harmed while playing and someone was at fault, they can handle the matter for you.
Managers, back-room staff and players
With our comprehensive legal expertise and services we can make an immediate impact, wherever you play us.
- Players, managers and back-room staff
- Employment contracts and variations
- Agent representation
- Disciplinary representation
- Personal sponsorship & image rights
- Family law, wealth management, property
Clubs and club owners
- Funding and business sale/acquisition
- Transfer agreements
- Employment and HR matters
- Insolvency and turnarounds
- IP, image rights and brand enforcement
- Disciplinary presentations
- Regulatory issues
Governing bodies, community groups and associations
- Fan ownership and club acquisition
- Sporting codes and ethics
- Disciplinary matters
- IP Protection>