Pursuing a personal injury claim for a child

Anybody under the age of 18 needs a ‘litigation friend’ to go to Court on their behalf. This is often their mother or father, although it does not have to be.

To act as a litigation friend you must:

  • Be able to complete matters fairly on behalf of the child.
  • Have no interests that conflict with the child’s.
  • Agree to pay any costs awarded against the child, subject to any right to be repaid from the child’s assets.

Any settlement, compromise or payment you agree as a litigation friend must first be approved by the Court - and the Judge will check that it is in the child’s best interests.

Compensation payments received are normally held by the court funds office until the child reaches adulthood, although you can apply for interim payments.

This could be for adapted accommodation, further treatment or to buy a car if transport is an issue, say in getting to college. The judge may reject applications if the money is for toys or holidays.

As with any claim it is a good idea to use a Solicitor and especially so if the injury is life-changing and long-term.

Road Traffic accidents

  • Simple Whiplash rear end shunt claims to complex claims involving paraplegia.
  • Fatal accident claims.

Accidents At Work

  • Personal injuries suffered during the course of employment
  • Manual handling operations injuries
  • Slips and trips
  • Work related upper limb disorders
  • Mesothelioma & asbestosis claims.

Public Liability & Occupier’s Liability

  • Claims against councils and others where injuries have been sustained i.e. slips and trips
  • Injuries sustained in public places i.e. children’s parks/playgrounds and shops
  • Sporting injuries sustained in public or private grounds
  • Dog bite & dangerous horse injuries
  • Injuries on club premises
  • Injuries caused by independent contractors
  • Injuries in schools, injuries in swimming pools
  • Injuries in prisons
  • Claims against neighbours regarding defective premises causing injury
  • Public utilities liability.

Landlord & tenant, private/local authority

  • Housing disrepair claims

Product Liability

  • Defective electrical equipment, defective vehicle, defective drug/medication, defective chemical products, food poisoning due to defective packaging are examples.

Make an