Commercial specialists at Verisona Law are celebrating industry recognition of their achievements, growing success and contribution to the saving of Portsmouth Football Club, after being nominated for two categories in the UK’s prestigious ‘Insolvency & Rescue Awards’.
After providing evidence for its strong financial performance and growth in the last 12 months, client satisfaction and strategic vision for the sector, Portsmouth legal practice, Verisona Law, is delighted to have been nominated for ‘Insolvency Law Firm 2014’ at the only awards to recognise best practice and professional excellence in the corporate recovery and insolvency sector.
‘To be placed in such a unique forum as the Insolvency & Rescue Awards, which attracts support and attention from across the entire country, is such boost to the team,’ says Nick Oliver, Head of Insolvency and Business Turnaround at Verisona Law. ‘Reviewing the praise and testimonials from clients over the past 12 months was tremendously satisfying, but to be recognised by our industry as well is a real bonus.’
The firm has also been shortlisted for ‘Business Rescue of the Year’ for its work providing the business and legal support needed to save Portsmouth Football Club from liquidation, and allow its purchase by the Portsmouth Community Football Club (PCFC) consortium, including Pompey Supporters Trust.
‘The work for Pompey was important to us and the people of Portsmouth, and we expected the breaking of such new ground to be important to the world of football, but it seems to have also sparked a great deal of interest and plaudits from our profession,’ says Mike Dyer, Head of Commercial Law who, last year, was nominated as Solicitor of the Year at the Law Society Excellence Awards. ‘We are very proud to have been nominated in two such prestigious and competitive categories.’
After the detailed shortlisting process, Verisona Law will now be put forward to a panel of over 20 judges that include the Chief Executive Officers of the Insolvency Practitioners Association and Institute for Turnaround, Presidents of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) and Association Business Recovery Professionals ‘R3’ and the Managing Editor of Credit Today and Insolvency News.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Dinner at The Lancaster London Hotel on 1stOctober which, last year, was attended by over 700 industry leaders.
- Acting for land owners or property developers in relation to both residential and commercial development projects
- Advising on the structure and content of the legal documentation associated with the sale and acquisition of development sites
- Negotiating section 106 planning agreements
- Negotiation of option agreements and conditional planning agreements
- Plot sales / disposals
Landlord and Tenant
- Advising landlords and tenants in relation to the taking of and the grant of commercial leases of all form of commercial property
- Dealing with subleases of commercial premises
- Dealing with ancillary leasehold documentation such as licences to alter, change of use or licence to sublet
- Advising in relation to variations of leases
- Advising in relation to agreements for leases including development obligations
Real Estate Finance
- Acting for lenders or borrowers in relation to the taking and granting of security over all forms of commercial property
- Acting and advising borrowers in relation to obligations in standard security documentation issued by both corporate and individual lenders
- Perfecting a lenders security over the property at the Land Registry and Companies House
- Dealing with commercial remortgages
- Dealing with variations to existing security or substituted security
- Acting for liquidators, administrators in bankruptcy in the sale of all forms of commercial property
- Acting on and dealing with the sale of property under the Proceeds of Crime Act
- Acting for buyers of commercial property from liquidators, administrators and trustees in bankruptcy
- Acting for sellers or buyers of all forms of commercial investment property
- Advising on the due diligence to be undertaken in connection with the acquisition of investment premises
- Advising in relation to the VAT and TUPE implications arising out of an investment transaction
- Advising buyers in relation to their ongoing liabilities under the individual leases
- Advising on the property aspects arising out of the sale and purchase of businesses
- Advising on the nature and extent of property warranties included within the legal documentation
- Advising and dealing with obtaining the necessary consents for the transfer of any leasehold premises as part of the corporate transaction
Property related Pension Schemes
- Acting for pension providers and individuals in relation to property related pension scheme arrangements
- Advising pension companies in relation to the legal structure of property related schemes
- Carrying out appropriate due diligence in relation to the property aspects of a pension scheme
- Advising on and dealing with issues arising out of the transfer of assets from one pension fund to another
Sales and Acquisition of Commercial Property
- Acting for sellers or buyers in relation to the sale and acquisition of all forms of commercial property