Paying personal injury compensation is a huge overhead for motor insurers and some try to reach a deal direct with the injured person very soon after the accident. Accept their offer and you risk signing away your rights for a fraction of the settlement you are due. >>
The practice is known in the industry as ‘third-party capture’ and the idea is to pay off the injured party before they take proper legal advice. Because the settlements offered are ‘full and final’ you cannot claim further, say because your injuries are worse than you had thought.
What is a personal injury worth?
If a case goes to Court the judge follows legal guidelines to decide compensation – but there is a far more important question to ask yourself: how badly are you injured?
The extent of injuries is not always immediately apparent, which is why it is vital to have a suitably qualified doctor examine you. He or she will assess the injury, advise on any treatment required and give an opinion about the risk of long-term problems.
This of course can add significantly to the insurer’s costs if you win your claim for personal injury – and this is before taking the rest of your claim into account.
What can personal injury compensation include?
Many claimants do not realise that compensation can cover not only their injuries, but also ‘consequential losses’ such as costs of medical treatment, lost earnings, and the time and money friends or family spend on looking after you while you are injured.
These costs can be unexpected and they can build up over time, but you have accepted an early offer you cannot claim any more. Your compensation may be significantly undervalued.
Speak to a personal injury lawyer
A specialist personal injury lawyer will arrange the right medical examinations, compile professional evidence that highlights the full extent of your injuries, and get the best possible outcome for you, including interim payments and the right medical or social care.
And the more serious or complicated your injury, the more important it is to choose a firm that not only specialises in personal injury, but will provides a named solicitor who can work closely with you, visit you as needed and look at your situation in the round.
Win the compensation you deserve
Insurance companies do not work for claimants. Their main interest is to settle claims for as little as they possibly can and to protect their profit margins.
A recent survey showed that if you used the services of a specialist solicitor your award on average would be about 275% of what you would get dealing with the insurer direct.
It therefore makes sense to seek specialist independent legal advice before accepting any direct offer from an insurance company.
Road Traffic accidents
- Simple Whiplash rear end shunt claims to complex claims involving paraplegia.
- Fatal accident claims.
Accidents At Work
- Personal injuries suffered during the course of employment
- Manual handling operations injuries
- Slips and trips
- Work related upper limb disorders
- Mesothelioma & asbestosis claims.
Public Liability & Occupier’s Liability
- Claims against councils and others where injuries have been sustained i.e. slips and trips
- Injuries sustained in public places i.e. children’s parks/playgrounds and shops
- Sporting injuries sustained in public or private grounds
- Dog bite & dangerous horse injuries
- Injuries on club premises
- Injuries caused by independent contractors
- Injuries in schools, injuries in swimming pools
- Injuries in prisons
- Claims against neighbours regarding defective premises causing injury
- Public utilities liability.
Landlord & tenant, private/local authority
- Housing disrepair claims
- Defective electrical equipment, defective vehicle, defective drug/medication, defective chemical products, food poisoning due to defective packaging are examples.
Lovely, friendly, great people. Very understanding too and very good at what they do and very happy with the result. Many thanks again Lisa and everyone involved in my case.