Have you slipped or tripped on a public road or pavement?

One of the most common causes of injury is tripping or slipping on uneven or broken paving stones/pavement on the public highway.  If this has happened to you, you may be able to claim for compensation, provided your case meets these conditions… >>

Who is responsible for your slip or trip injury?

If it happened on a public highway then in most cases your claim would be against the relevant highways authority.  Remember though that not every slip or trip in these circumstances automatically qualifies you for compensation.

Making a successful compensation claim: what are the rules?

Basically you will have to show that you suffered an injury and loss because the highways authority concerned had been negligent.   You must satisfy the Court that:

  • the paving stone/pavement provided a hazard to  pedestrians;
  • the hazard arose through a failure to maintain or repair the paving stone/pavement
  • your injury or damage was sustained as a result of the hazard.

In general, a slip or trip hazard of one inch or more is likely to be considered a danger, but the Court will take the Highways Authority’s own policies into account. If the Authority deemed a 2 inch height to be the danger threshold, the Court might test this and possibly accept it.

What steps were taken to keep the highway safe?

If the Highways Authority denies liability they will have to show that it took all reasonable steps to make sure the particular section of highway was safe and free from defect.  

Therefore, if the Authority had a regular inspection programme in place and had followed it properly, a claim for a trip/slip would fail.  

In many cases a slip/trip hazard has been in place for many months or even years, which would suggest that the highways authority has failed to carry out its inspection programme. In this case a personal injury claim would likely succeed.

Road Traffic accidents

  • Simple Whiplash rear end shunt claims to complex claims involving paraplegia.
  • Fatal accident claims.

Accidents At Work

  • Personal injuries suffered during the course of employment
  • Manual handling operations injuries
  • Slips and trips
  • Work related upper limb disorders
  • Mesothelioma & asbestosis claims.

Public Liability & Occupier’s Liability

  • Claims against councils and others where injuries have been sustained i.e. slips and trips
  • Injuries sustained in public places i.e. children’s parks/playgrounds and shops
  • Sporting injuries sustained in public or private grounds
  • Dog bite & dangerous horse injuries
  • Injuries on club premises
  • Injuries caused by independent contractors
  • Injuries in schools, injuries in swimming pools
  • Injuries in prisons
  • Claims against neighbours regarding defective premises causing injury
  • Public utilities liability.

Landlord & tenant, private/local authority

  • Housing disrepair claims

Product Liability

  • Defective electrical equipment, defective vehicle, defective drug/medication, defective chemical products, food poisoning due to defective packaging are examples.

Lovely, friendly, great people. Very understanding too and very good at what they do and very happy with the result. Many thanks again Lisa and everyone involved in my case.

Make an