A wayward golf shot could cost you and your club more than just the hole if a Court decides you are liable for any injury caused.
In one judgement the Court awarded £400,000 in damages against a golfer and golf club after another golfer lost an eye due to a stray ball. The judge found that both owed a duty of care to the victim.
The judge ruled that the player was 70% responsible for the injury because he underestimated the likelihood of slicing the shot and the risks this would pose to others.
The club was found 30% responsible because it failed to place signs warning people of stray shots on that section of the course.
Are you covered?
Many golf courses have indemnity insurance to cover personal injury claims but this will not necessarily insure players or members.
Always check you are properly insured before you reach the first tee. Otherwise you could find yourself selling your home or using your savings to settle a claim.
Some household policies will cover you for golfing accidents, but check the small print. Otherwise you can buy £5m of cover to play on UK courses for as little as £10 a year.
Verisona Law has specialist Personal Injury and Sports Law teams – and many of us are keen golfers!
Road Traffic accidents
- Simple Whiplash rear end shunt claims to complex claims involving paraplegia.
- Fatal accident claims.
Accidents At Work
- Personal injuries suffered during the course of employment
- Manual handling operations injuries
- Slips and trips
- Work related upper limb disorders
- Mesothelioma & asbestosis claims.
Public Liability & Occupier’s Liability
- Claims against councils and others where injuries have been sustained i.e. slips and trips
- Injuries sustained in public places i.e. children’s parks/playgrounds and shops
- Sporting injuries sustained in public or private grounds
- Dog bite & dangerous horse injuries
- Injuries on club premises
- Injuries caused by independent contractors
- Injuries in schools, injuries in swimming pools
- Injuries in prisons
- Claims against neighbours regarding defective premises causing injury
- Public utilities liability.
Landlord & tenant, private/local authority
- Housing disrepair claims
- Defective electrical equipment, defective vehicle, defective drug/medication, defective chemical products, food poisoning due to defective packaging are examples.