Criminal injuries compensation for abuse

Getting financial compensation from somebody who has abused you can be difficult if they cannot be traced or do not have the means to pay you, but this is not the end of the story.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) runs a Government-backed scheme which compensates people who have been mentally or physically injured as victims of violent crime.

This includes people who have suffered sexual abuse.

You can apply to CICA for compensation yourself, although an experienced abuse lawyer may well be able to get you a higher settlement by stating your case more effectively.

Clients often tell us they are relieved that someone else has taken on the application for them, including gathering evidence and communicating with the Authority.

So how can we help you make your CICA claim?

First of all, our solicitors will help you through the entire process. The same small team, all abuse specialists, will work with you from beginning to end to understand exactly what you want and need.

We will need to discuss your case and have a lot of experience of helping people recall difficult events. If necessary we can meet you at a venue of your choice, even if it is a long way away.

After our meeting we will be able to put the application together, compile evidence and handle all the negotiations with CICA, including why the 2-year rule should not apply in your case.

Even if the abuse took place years ago, it is possible to gain compensation from the Authority, but certainly, the sooner you can make your application the better your chances will be.

In most cases we can deal with CICA applications for abuse compensation on a no-win no-fee basis. The initial consultation is free of charge, without obligation and in complete confidence.

Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.


  • Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.


  • The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.

Private companies

  • Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.

Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence

  • County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).

National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs

  • Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.


  • Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.

Children’s Homes

  • Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.

Religious Institutions

  • Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.

Foster Carers

  • Permanent carers, temporary carers

Make an