Claiming against a private individual

It is possible to make a personal injury claim against a private individual if for example they assaulted you or you injured yourself on something protruding from their vehicle onto the pavement.

First it is important to establish if they have any assets with which to pay you or alternatively if they have liability cover, say under a household, motor or other insurance policy.

You can also claim for injuries caused by someone’s animal, if the damage they caused by not being restrained was foreseeable, preventable and likely to be severe.

There are special rules where dangerous animals, including some species of dog, are involved, and we have secured compensation for clients in these cases.

There are certain defences in animal cases, such as if the owner can prove your own behaviour caused the incident, you were trespassing or you had voluntarily accepted the risk.

Below is a selection of organisations/instutions/bodies we are frequently instructed to pursue.


  • Private schools, boarding schools, local authority schools, closed schools, hospital schools.


  • The Scouts Association, St Johns Ambulance, MIND, the Children’s Society, Barnados.

Private companies

  • Football trainers, judo teachers, dance instructors, swimming instructors, holiday activity centres, nurseries, youth clubs.

Local Authorities/Ministry of Defence

  • County Councils, Borough Councils, City Councils, ILEA, cadets, navy/ army (forces).

National Health Service Trusts/Commissioning Boards/GPs

  • Hospitals, Disability care centres, children’s care providers.


  • Convicted perpetrators, acquitted perpetrators.

Children’s Homes

  • Respite care, full time children’s home, part-time children’s homes.

Religious Institutions

  • Roman Catholic Church, United Synagogue, Sisters of Nazareth, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Brothers Order.

Foster Carers

  • Permanent carers, temporary carers

Make an